Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Back to the Fithteenth Century

Today we went to the arms and armor museum. There they have a huge collection of weapons from the late middle ages through to the Renaissance. My German name is Maximilian and there we saw many weapons and armor (for both humans and horses) that were owned and used by the various Maximilians of the Hapsburgs. It was very interesting to see how the weapons changed. First, there were classic longswords. Then rapiers, and eventually guns. My favorite piece of armor was made for Emperor Maximilian the Second. It has a blueish tint to it that was created by a proses called blueing in which you heat the armor to extreme temperatures. This gives it that blue tint. This will also prevent rusting from happening. Below are some pictures of the museum.

3 comments:

  1. So interesting Gabe - I love that first photo of the armour - I think you guys are going to have a bit of a job sorting out the best of places to take us -- Can hardly wait to get there

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gibber
    Soon Nana and I will be in Vienna with you and Maya, you both have had some tremendous experiences and i cant wait to explore the city with you both, the history and exhibits are so amazing. make a list of places we should visit and I need to go to that Coffee Shop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I especially like this jeweled piece on the head of the horse.
    Did this bring any memories of the Renaissance Fairs Uncle Baron and I took you and Maya and your parents too looking at the swords?

    ReplyDelete